Tuesday 11 June 2013

I never compromised; they said I am in a relationship with someone in Aso Rock….. - Omowunmi Akinnifesi

 According to the sun, in 2005 when Omowunmi Akinnifesi won the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria pageant, she became an instant celebrity. Since then, she has been in the public glare and has been a great ambassador to the country. Unlike other queens, after her reign Omowunmi went back to complete her study at the University of Lagos. She obtained a degree in Geography and Regional Planning. Recently, she came back from Kings College, London where she went for her Master's degree programme in Environmental Modelling Monitoring and Management. She is noted for her stylish personality which has earned her several style awards. In this interview, she bared her mind to Saturday Sun on some negative reports about her. She also spoke on life after reign, style and other personal issues.
How do you react to some negative reports about you?
First thing, I just laugh about it. Really, it hits me and it's funny. I think about it that people can actually sit down and create stories out of nothing. I guess Nigerians are very creative, maybe that's why our Nollywood is thriving. People just make up stories from thin air. I have read stories about other celebrities and these stories have an atom of truth one way or another. But when it comes to me it's always stories developed from thin air. People just like to think- what is she doing? What is she up to? They don't understand me so they try to figure me out. And because they have no information they just try to develop something that is possible with her image. Or, somebody that is beautiful and an ex beauty queen, therefore that's what she can do. So all of those things are out of their imagination and probably what they would do if they were in my situation. That's what they bring up and that's what they try to create. Glory be to God that they always come back and apologise to me about most of these false stories. I am just grateful that most of them are always cleared up. Even the ones that are not cleared up with time people eventually realize that they are all lies. I guess I am an easy victim because I am a young lady, an ex-beauty queen and I am responsible, but people don't want to see you in that light. People want to see you in an irresponsible light; people want to see you in a negative way. Meanwhile, deep down inside they know you have the most positive vibe that a woman can offer. Even if you go for a business meeting, any man you are seen talking to automatically you are dating. Even friends I have that are male, automatically people just feel I am dating them while I am not. I am a woman. There are only two breeds of human beings in this life-women and men. And I would have friends on both sides-women and men, so I can't say I am going to keep only women as friends. I have brothers. I have my dad and uncles; people that are part of my life. So I won't say because of society I will stay away from opposite sex. It's just unfortunate but God's will shall prevail. People eventually see that these things are not true because of the type of person I am-my upbringing, family and personality.
Can you mention some of those negative reports against you?
Someone once lied that we were dating. He lied that we were in a relationship for years. A journalist actually interviewed him but later on they found out that it was a lie; that he just got caught up in the situation and wanted to claim. So he came back and apologised through the same paper saying that he was sorry, and that he was an impostor. Even the paper apologised because they had written a list of men that I have been dating. These people happen to be friends with my father, mother. Some are uncles to me, even my pastor in church. Recently they said I am in a relationship with someone in Aso Rock, Abuja, a person that I don't even know. As a matter of fact, it is not me. I don't even know where Aso Rock is. I really wish I knew, but I don't. Maybe they are talking of someone else. It must be mistaken identity. So I think people should really check and confirm these stories but if they are not careful they would be sued to court because I am not someone that anyone should mess with because I am a scandal-free person. I have a very clean image. For people to start imposing scandals on me, I think it is very offensive and very insulting. I have finished doing my Masters and I have heard about five different ways I paid for it. Why do people want to create unnecessary confusion and negativity about such a positive thing in my life. As a celebrity, people will always write that you are dating one man or the other. This is normal. In fact I think the only person they have not mentioned is the president. They are even only making me more popular so I don't care. Even Jesus Christ had false accusations so who am I?
Some even said you dropped out of school. How true is this?
Imagine that. I went to school, University of Lagos with thousands of students, walking up and down, and they see me. My lecturers were amazing people that supported me. They were very happy for me because I represented the department well. For me to hear that I dropped out was very fascinating to me. I never dropped out of school. As a matter of fact, usually most beauty queens go abroad immediately after their reign, but I went back to UNILAG, and as tough as it was, I dealt with it. I had to stoop to conquer, and glory be to God, I came out with a Second Class Upper from UNILAG. I studied Geography. Quite unusual I came out with a high GPA. I finished and went for my Master at Kings College, London where I studied Environmental Modelling Monitoring and Management.
So, what exactly are you doing now?
I have rounded off my programme. I have gone into environmental consultancy. We are into mopping as well. GRS is a new software. People are just getting used to the system in Nigeria, but globally, it is a fast selling industry because people are using it for navigation, location and analysis. There are many other things that I am coming up with that would unfold as time goes on.
How is life after crown?
It's been amazing and wonderful. It's been one thing or the another. I went for Miss Tourism in Ukraine and won that. I went to Miss World. It was an amazing experience. I have done a lot of things in different countries.
What lessons did you learn during your reign as MBGN?
I learnt about people; dealing with human beings. There are different kinds of people and they have different purposes in life. So the way you relate with people is different so you have to learn good public skill to survive in Nigeria. Nigeria is a country of people; It's about skill, ability and capacity to deal with the people.
What are life challenges you have faced so far?
Everyday is a challenge. It's not easy to point them out. Everyday there is one challenge or another as a human being but God has been faithful and He has gracefully carried me through every challenge I have faced in my life, and I have overcome every challenge.
How?
It depends on the challenge. There are so many challenges everyday. Living in Nigeria is even a challenge.
What does life mean to you?
Life means living in your full potentials and achieving your purpose. To so many people, life is enjoying and living it. But to me, it's about purpose. It's about defining yourself and maximizing your potentials. Every human being is like a time bomb waiting to happen. If you don't maximize your potentials you will never take off. So, for me, life is about fulfilling your purpose and maximizing your potentials.
Who is a successful person?
A successful person is someone that values his life and values people around him, and achieves his goal. Everybody has different goals. Some people have the goal of having money and private jet. And they achieve it. That's success to them. Some people have the goal of getting married and having children. Success is what you define. They say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. That's how success is. Whatever you say is your success is success. To me, it's not monetary terms, because you can have money and not be successful. And you can be very successful and not have money. All these people that win Nobel prizes, activists, such people that are celebrated, are successful. There are people in this country that have money more than Nelson Mandela, but he is successful because he has made a difference. But some other people have all the money in the world but they are not successful. So, there is a big difference between just having money, properties, private jets and adding value to people's life and they praise and celebrate you. That is a true success.
What drives you in life?
What drives me is knowing that I am doing what God wants me to do; I am following my path. I wake up everyday thinking, "I am following my path". There are popular things to do. There are popular things where you feel you make money from. There are popular things you think you get popularity and fame from, but that might not be your purpose, because when you are doing your purpose, when you are doing what you should be doing, all those things will come. So, for me, it drives me to know that I am not a mistake. God has put me in a position. Everything that has happened in my life has been through the grace of God. I never compromised myself to get to where I am. So, if that can happen, that will tell you there is a purpose. As long as I am on the right path, I am good to go. So that drives me. Do I get joy from what I am doing? Am I feeling fulfilled and satisfied? Go and get it. That's what drives me.
What particularly do you have passion for?
I have passion for people. I like to see people do well. I like to encourage people especially women. I have passion for children as well. My name is Omowunmi, which means, "I love children". When I see children in pains I get teary eyes.
Are you in a relationship?
I am not in a relationship. I am very single.
How best do you like to dress?
Very simple, elegant and sophisticated. That's my style. I don't wear so many things. I wear outfit; I don't like the outfit to wear me. I make sure my personality shines through what I am wearing, so when I am overloaded, I don't look good because my beauty is in my personality. If I smile when I am wearing so many things, you may not even notice my smile. You will just be looking barely at my physical. But my charm and grace, all form my beauty, and they form into what I wear. So, I am very simple and classic.
Are you a designer freak?
Not actually, but yes again, because I have a lot of things that are not designer, and at the same time I have many things that are designer. Yes, I am a bit of designer freak, I must confess. I love it but I am very classic. I am very vintage in the designer things. For instance, the things I have from Channel are very vintage. So, that's where my craze for designer things come up.
Can you count your shoes?
No, I can't count them
Are you a trend follower?
No, I don't follow trend. I am more of a classic person. I am a little traditional in modern ways. I wear trendy things but I don't necessarily follow trend because I know that the trend would be out of style by next month. So there is no point investing in such item when you know that in the next few months it would be outdated. When something is in trend, I don't wear it because it will look like I made so much effort to get it and wear it, and to say that I am around. No. But when you wear things that are timeless, you look fantastic, so when they see you, they won't understand why you look so good.
What's your beauty routine like?
I wash my face before I sleep at night. The rest is a secret. If I tell you it won't be a secret anymore.
 

1 comment: