Friday 22 January 2016

Something About Karma 2 - Kemi Jinadu

if you missed the first part to the story please click here.  I cried, screamed, when the excruciating pain became unbearable I ran outside spotted Dapo who seemed to have been crying too. Dapo was still in his pyjamas top and a boxer-short, the bruise from Dad’s belt became evident.
Kokumo stood next to Dapo, he pleaded on our behalf “Oga please forgive them,” Kokumo reiterated as Dad walked past him into his flat, oblivious to any of us; the sound of the shut door ricocheted.


Kokumo the gate man strangely became our comforter that morning, “I never believed Dad could become this person,” Dapo said as he patted the bruise on his leg.

“I agree I wish Mum was here” I answered. 
Kokumo moved closer and whispered “the two dogs that died the other day was a sign of evil, in my village it means an evil woman has entered our house,” his breath smelt of Gold -leaf cigarette as he uttered the last word.
 
I do not believe in spirit not in any way superstitious but that night I choose to believe Kokumo, the thought of his words creeped up in my mind every now and then. 
We are not allowed into Dad and Funke’s flat but Dad comes into ours once a month to check on us, Funke rarely visits, except when she was travelling on holiday to London.

One sunny Saturday Funke walked into the living room without knocking the door, the scent of expensive perfume filled the room and the sound of her black stilettos resonated steadily.

“Bose and Dapo, Obi would continue to cook and dish-out your food, be very good; I won’t stay too long, you know I don’t like the cold weather in London,” Funke said as Kunle ran inside and held his Mum’s hand.

How am I suppose to know if you like the cold in London, we’ve not travelled out of the country since you’ve used your evil claws on Dad, the touch of Funke’s hand on my shoulder brought me out of my reverie.
“May the plane fall of the sky so you can go to the land of no return,” I discreetly muttered whilst she waved goodbye.

Living in the house I’ve always known to be home, full of lovely childhood memories became a house of horror, little Kunle became our king, he does as he likes, eats what he likes, we were no longer allowed to instruct nor send domestic staff on an errand.


We received stringent punishment for trivial offences like speaking out loud, laughing and playing with Kunle.  Going to boarding school was an escape for both of us but coming home on holidays was a nightmare.


Although going away to boarding school came indirectly with a cost our pocket money was completely withdrawn, confectioneries and provisions were gradually reduced then finally taken away.
We begged other student for basic things like cubes of St Louis sugar, cassava flakes, powdered milk, Bourvita, sometimes cabin and Okin biscuits.
Talks about our shameless inevitable act of begging became the top school gossip amongst peers. 

The final escaped was when I gained an admission into University of Lagos it felt like the weight of the world was lifted off my life.  I sneaked out of school to pay Mum a visit, she had covertly paid Kokumo a visit, bribed him with packet of cigarettes and fifty naira notes. 
So she was able to leave a forwarding address with Kokumo when she heard of my admission through Kike, our neighbour Mum bumped into at Alade-market.

Mum had lost weight drastically, it bothered me but she looked younger and good, we talked about the old days. 

I avoided talking about Funke and Dad I don’t want to hurt Mum she tried every trick to get information but got the message when I became so evasive. 
Sometimes I meetup with Dapo and we both paid Mum a visit at her Sister’s place, she was always happy to see us.

Mum’s death was a shock.
Aunty Folu, Mum’s sister told us she was diagnosed with breast cancer over a year ago, but she instructed everyone who knew to keep it away from us; that period was the worst times of my life.

I graduated with upper class in Human resource with Chief Adisa’s help, a long time secret admirer, who was influential in Abuja got me a job in Costain. 
Chief Adisa wanted to marry me but how could I marry a man that saw me grew up as a child, one of Dad’s closest friend.

Marriage to chief Adisa meant mistress with children but tagged with the name wife, his current wife was my Mum’s peer, mother to my friend Yetty.
Dapo stayed with me when he was not in school, we both stopped going to the house that was supposed to be home.

Lately, Dad started calling to check on us and we both wondered why? We both refused to visit. 
It was December, the weather was dry, foggy, and dusty; I had to wipe the furniture sometimes twice a day as dust settled quickly inside without opening the windows. 
I grabbed the telephone as it buzzed “Bosede!” Dad called out my full name “yes sir”, I answered. The phone went dead and I knew something terrible had happened, I called back he did not pick up.

Two hours later as I was still in panic mode trying to figure out what to do he called back.

"I’ve done everything I can to make sure your mother would forgive me, if there is another life after death to avoid karma.  
I never deserted you and your brother, I’ve seek God’s forgiveness though your anger is understandable but there is something about karma,” Dad's croaky voice ceased for a while.

“Bose there is something about karma," Dad reiterated.
"Something so hurtful, so deep, its so resolute, just like ill-fate destined to unfold.  I went to your mother’s grave again, I hope and prays she forgives me,” Dad's voice shook as he uttered the last word.

The military head of state Sani Abacha at the time had died, Dad tried to get a top political post during the next regime but he could not, the interim government was not in favour of Dad’s political party.  

Most of what was left of Dad's money was used to bribe government officials so he could also get contract but nothing worked, he became bankrupt sold three out of his four houses to maintain his affluence lifestyle with Funke.

Ladi came back from one of the voyage he goes to seek greener pasture but he met an empty house; Dad's Mercedes Benz C280, Mazda RX-7, Acura NSX and Rolls Royce seemed to have vanished from the compound. 
A note Funke left revealed that our once omnipotent Kunle’s paternity, he was not Dad’s son his DNA was that of a renowned politician on exile, Chief Umeh. 





By K Jinadu
Note -


This story is subject to copyright so it may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior reference to the original owner.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting and captivating

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writer ttk, thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice write up K

    ReplyDelete
  4. INTRIGUING, BEAUTIFUL WRITE UP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the concluding part too, he deserve all he got, great write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serves him right nice story

    ReplyDelete