Friday 21 November 2014

‘Girl from Trinidad brought a shirt, put it on the ground n said to me, pls Mike…..’

Mi like this actor, he possess an outstanding acting skills; he is not stereotype into a particular role, if he is to act a real McCoy Igbo boy/man he fit perfectly in; and to act as a modern Nigeria man he switches completely into the role; he is one of my favourite Nollywood actors.
Popular handsome, fair complexioned, Nollywood actor, Mike Ezuruonye  has proven beyond reasonable doubt in the Nigerian movie history that he is a force to be reckon with; he is a brand ambassador of Airtel and has won several awards. 
The father of one in a recent interview with Sun, has revealed his encounter with a Caribbean girl, his tough journey to stardom and the secrets of his acting prowess. Excerpts below:
 
How was your growing up?
(Laughs) It was fun. I don’t like talking about that, but I want to believe that I was born by parents who could afford certain amenities. And of course, they were disciplinarians. They also taught me self-belief. My dad always says: ‘always believe in yourself, always put your head up anywhere you are to answer your name’. And that has always driven me because even as an upcoming actor I was never scared; I respected my seniors, I respected the established stars and I always had a good thing about that.

You appear to be a two-sided coin in movies. When you act the role of a downtrodden, you play it very well, also when you play the role of a prince or king it’s as if you were born with a silver spoon. What is the secret behind it?
It is the same thing with most actors. An actor is someone who is able to disengage himself and then wear any character that he is given, wear it so that there is totally no void or no space. Just wear it and wear it proudly so that the persona of the character is also imbibed by you. And you just flow in it, glide and glow in it. And that is the true actor. 

What challenges did you face when you came into the industry? How did you struggle to take your place in an industry where you had people like Ramsey Nouah and the rest?
I have said it many times, there is nothing like taking anybody’s position. In science, we were taught that one star in the sky is bigger than the whole earth; so it is in Nollywood, so it is in the African art. You have so much space; all you have to do is pitch your own tent. You cannot take away those icons. You cannot take away Ramsey Nouah out of the movie industry.

You cannot have Nollywood without a Ramsey, you cannot have the African movie industry without a Rita Dominic, you cannot know about Nollywood without having a Joke Silva or Olu Jacobs or an Nkem Owoh. All these people are iconic, you cannot take their place – it’s just not possible. It is like a farmyard, just come and pitch your own tent so that people will now know that it is you, and you’re an icon for what you represent.

As an upcomer, who really influenced you in the industry?
Ramsey (Nouah).

Why Ramsey?
I always loved his grasp; I loved his act. On the other side when I watch Nkem Owoh, I look at the comic side of him; he is a down-to-earth person. So, I really loved those two people, and of course, Uncle Olu Jacobs.

Have you played a role that later after watching the movie you feel a need for improvement?
When I watch my movie, I watch out not just for the story because I love the story anyway, I watch out for the mistakes, I watch out for how I can bring out the best in me. Because anywhere I go, I always carry a mirror to impersonate whatever character I have to play. I try to play with my mirror, and of course, I look at what suits the character I’m playing next. Now, I have given out a little secret and a secret to upcoming actors as well. Always have a mirror that you can work with. 

Generally looking at Nollywood, what do you have to say about the industry?
It’s one industry that has gone beyond Nigeria; it’s gone into the Diaspora, including the Caribbean. Nollywood has rebranded this country; it’s the best possible export of this country. It’s a window through which Africa is being seen now. So, Nollywood is the best representation of the African art, being and wellness. If you want to know the true representation of you as an African, here in Africa or in the Diaspora, you have to tangle with Nollywood. 

What are the challenges you face as an actor whose face is known globally?
The merits outweigh the demerits. The challenges are that you no longer have a life; everybody wants to know you. It’s left to you to now find your inner self, your inner being, to find those who know you properly and be yourself. For me, I always don’t put the pressure of how popular I am on me. I always tell myself – that I should be a good representation for my craft, for my family, and of course because of the allegiance I owe people, I have to represent them well. I’m a regular guy and the only difference is that I’m on TV so, that doesn’t put pressure on me. 

Apart from what we see on the screen, who is Mike Ezuruonye?
Mike Ezuruonye is a regular guy who eats the basic things you get from the everyday market. He is a regular guy who doesn’t go out too much his best companions remain his way back friends  people who knew him when he was nothing. He is somebody who loves and always wants to tangle with the commandment of ‘love your neighbour as yourself’. I have respect for everybody. I’m somebody who builds a lot of goodwill.

What is your greatest challenge?
The greatest challenge to me is always trying to achieve the best. I’m never satisfied. I’m not the one who’ll say ‘I’ve arrived’ once I get to a particular pedestal I set another target for myself.

Which film has given you the spotlight?
Every film I have done. There are no little roles; there are little actors, so every film is always big for me. And before I get on any movie set, I never presume I know too much. That has always been my drive.

What is the most striking thing that a fan has done to you?
Funny enough, it wasn’t even in Africa. It was in the US, and the woman is from Trinidad and Tobago. As organized as the place was, she got a shirt and put it on the ground and said to me, ‘please Mike, just touch the shirt for me and I promise I’m going keep it, I’m not washing it’. That was so deep for me. 

What advice do you have for upcoming actors who look up to you?
If you look up to me, try and toe my line. Which is: have love for the art; don’t go for the money first. Work hard, when you work hard your talent will find you, people will now push you up to where the money is. I used to tell my colleagues that our generation is taking Nollywood to where it will be, but trust me, the upcomers – years and decades after – will reap what we’re sowing now. So, my advice is just to have love for the art, work hard, persevere, pray hard and you will get there.
 

3 comments: