Thursday 26 March 2015

What happens when a mistress has an edge over the wife (2)?

Article By Candida
“My first reaction was to go home in a taxi but why should I? Levi, was after all, my husband. With head held high, I marched back to Levi’s office and waited for him there. 
His secretary had this funny look on her face as she hurried to go call my husband. Levi carried off his surprise very well when he saw me.  I explained why I was there and he told me he’d gone to discuss the forthcoming official party with the new company secretary.

In the past, I’d always been responsible for catering for guests at such parties which usually took place in our spacious living room. But it seemed now that this whiz-kid company secretary had organised a buffet affair in private room at a Chinese restaurant.  My blood boiled with indignation but I said nothing. On the day of this buffet thing, I was determined to fight fire with fire.  At 46, and with four children, my figure had gone a bit but I made the most of what I had.  If I was going to be face-to-face with my husband’s mistress, I was going to make it a grand performance.

“What a silly fool I was! Ellen, the company secretary was dressed simply but very expensively. And she looked more smashing close-up.  I must also say that Levi behaved pretty well at the buffet. He introduced her as the best executive the company had and Ellen greeted me with just the right touch of friendliness and formality due to the boss’s wife. The fact that my husband didn’t show the slightest sign of discomfort made me wonder how many ex-girlfriends I’d met in the past.

As Ellen turned to leave, I discovered her hair was also magnificently groomed. She was wafting a sweet cloud of Prada perfume. It seemed she’d doused herself in the stuff while I just dabbed mine behind the ears. Don’t these husbands have any shame?  Fancy buying his wife and mistress the same brand of perfume! The office staff made an unusual fuss of her and I realised she was serious competition.  What does a wife do when she is receiving a kick in the crutch?  Rush to a lawyer?  What if it’s the husband who wants a divorce, would she want one?  My short answer was, of course ‘no’! My whole life had revolved round Levi and I didn’t like the idea of being a woman alone, though there were no tell-tale signs he wanted to replace his wife with the mistress. I was just feeling too vulnerable.


“Guiltily, I realised that there were a lot of things he could find wrong with me. I drank a bit too much and had taken little interest in his affairs since we moved to our own house in Ikeja. He didn’t fit in with my new friends and, more often than not, he brought work home instead of talking to me. It took a long time but I changed. Only last week he came home straight from the office, had his dinner and a nap. I stole a glance at him as he napped on the sofa. His balding head was a bit awry and his tie and shoes were off. But he was all mine!”



Article By Candida

1 comment: