Monday 18 May 2015

Billionaire Silenced Booing Crowd Fell Off Stage

Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy was treated by paramedics for several minutes after he stumbled off a podium at the 2015 A-League Grand Final.
The Australian billionaire silenced a booing crowd when he fell off stage on to his head while presenting a football trophy. 

The 84-year-old, however, escaped serious injury at Melbourne's AAMI Park and presented Melbourne Victory players with their winners' medals shortly afterwards. 

The Victory had beaten Sydney FC 3-0. 

Mr Lowy, who founded the global chain of Westfield shopping malls, had been booed by spectators as he took to the stage, but there was stunned silence as he somersaulted more than a metre on to the turf. 

Applause then broke out from the 30,000-strong crowd when footage of the smiling tycoon was shown on the big screen. 

Mr Lowy said in a statement later: "I want to thank everyone for the concern shown and support for me after my tumble at the Grand Final. 

"I think everyone was as shocked as I was, but I'm grateful to be resting comfortably. I have a sore shoulder which might take some time to fully recover, but I should be okay."

2 comments: