Monday 12 October 2015

Syrians Return To Perilous War Zone

In recent months, the United Nations says it has seen a worrying rise in returnees.
In July, the average was 66 a day but in August the figure nearly doubled to 129.
It has since remained over 100.
Syrians cry and hug each other as they say their farewells in northern Jordan. Children help their parents bundle small bags of luggage onto a waiting bus.

These refugees either cannot afford to go to Europe or do not want to. Instead, they are going on a different dangerous journey: returning home to a war zone.

"I've no relatives left here and no money," says a mother of three from Deraa, in southern Syria. "Everybody started going back. We're so tired."

"In Syria, I'll find people I know," she goes on. "I'll be among my own people. It will be OK. Whatever happens, happens."

No comments:

Post a Comment