Sunday 15 November 2015

Meeting Up With Ailing Mrs Alison-Madueke – Dele Momodu

Our two meetings took place on Thursday, November 5 and Saturday, November 7, 2015 at different locations. The first was in a private apartment while the second was in this restaurant. 
Unlike the first which lasted less than half an hour, we were able to spend more time together this time. Indeed, we were at it for a total of just over four hours, and I believe she spoke from the heart, I believe, but the reader is always the judge.

I was a bit surprised and disappointed at the choice of location. I was hoping she was going to give me access to her now famous apartment which was said to have been bought at a most staggering amount, or the new multi-billion dollar home that was rumoured to have triggered the alarm leading to her arrest, claims she would dismiss as tales by moonlight.

I called the mobile number I had been given as I approached the doorway of the restaurant and her female aide emerged from the bowel of the restaurant to lead me to a somewhat secluded corner where a table had been reserved. I was seated facing the entrance and hoping I could catch her glimpse whenever she arrives.

After waiting for about 20 minutes or so, I heard some footsteps and the once most powerful woman in Nigeria surfaced. She looked slightly better than at our last meeting for which I was glad. I sprang to my feet as we exchanged pleasantries. I mentioned to her that she looked better and she said she’d been resting and gaining strength in preparation for the radiotherapy sessions expected to last five agonising weeks.

She ordered for full English breakfast while I settled only for a cup of cappuccino. But when the meal arrived, she didn’t eat it because she had lost appetite for food generally and was more on fluids but had hoped this would return if she saw the food.

Mrs Alison-Madueke coughed intermittently into a napkin and dabbed her mouth with it but she was clearly determined to pour out her obviously heavy heart despite the discomfort I could notice she was struggling to endure.

Apart from been bruised, battered and blistered, especially in print and on social media. She’s been scandalised, summarily tried and precipitously convicted by the media, according to her. She did not expect anyone to lend her an ear or listen to her now muffled voice.

On top of her problems, she’s having a running battle with the most dreaded form of cancer of the breast and she’s had to undergo surgeries to remove the lumps and later some chunky tissue. The treatments have not been that successful and it’s been a ding-dong affair for this once ebullient and elegant lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment