Friday 1 July 2016

“Gove lacked charisma, but was still passionate” – Boris Johnson

Mr Gove's leadership bid sent shockwaves through the Tory party as it came shortly after he was appointed Mr Johnson's campaign manager.
Michael Gove has made a pitch for the Conservative party leadership outlining why he could not recommend his fellow Brexiteer Boris Johnson.
Mr Gove said he admired the former London Mayor, but had come to the conclusion that he was "not the right person" for the job. 

Shortly before he made the speech, Mr Johnson hit back at hecklers who called him a "disgrace" outside his home.
One demonstrator walked alongside him telling him: "You don't have the guts to sort it out."

Mr Johnson replied: "Rubbish - nonsense."
The Brexiteer was then asked by a journalist: "Do you feel betrayed by Mr Gove?"

He replied: "I can't get on with what I wanted to do, so it will have to be someone else."
This morning, he officially launched his campaign in Westminster, acknowledging he lacked charisma, but was still passionate.
He said: "In the wake of the referendum, the Prime Minister chose to stand down and we have had to think about who is best placed to lead us now.

"I knew we needed a leader who both believed in this new path and who could build and lead a united team to guide us through the challenges ahead.

"I believed that Boris Johnson - who had campaigned alongside me with such energy and enthusiasm - could build and lead that team. 
"I wanted that plan to work. I worked night and day for it.

"But I came to realise this week that, for all Boris's formidable talents, he was not the right person for the task.

"I am running in this leadership contest for one reason - and one reason alone.

"I want this country I love - and which has given me so much - to embrace this opportunity for change with optimism and conviction. 
"I never thought I'd ever be in this position.
"I did not want it, indeed I did almost everything not be a candidate for the leadership of this party.
"I was so very reluctant because I know my limitations.

"Whatever charisma is I don't have it, whatever glamour may be I don't think anyone could ever associate me with it."

He made a clear attempt to draw contrasts with his main rival Theresa May, who has portrayed herself as someone who could "get the job done".

Mr Gove said the challenges facing Britain required "not just a cool head, but a heart burning with the desire for change".

The Justice Secretary said he stood by all of the promises made by Vote Leave during the referendum contest.

"I will ensure we honour the instructions the British people have given us," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment