Monday 4 July 2016

UKIP Leader Nigel Farage Steps-Down As Party Leader

"That is what we voted for in that referendum two weeks ago, and that is why I now feel that I've done my bit, that I couldn't possibly achieve more.

"And so I feel it's right that I should now stand aside as leader of UKIP."
This is not the first time the 52-year-old has resigned as leader. In 2015, he quit the leadership after the UK general election, but reversed that decision just days later.
 "I won't be changing my mind again - I can promise you.
"During the referendum campaign I said I want my country back. What I'm saying today is: I want my life back."

UKIP leader Nigel Farage has announced he will step down as leader of the party in the wake of the referendum to leave the EU.

"My aim in politics was to get Britain out of the European Union," he said in a speech outlining the party's post-referendum strategy.

Mr Farage has declined to endorse a successor but says he expects his replacement will be in place for the party's autumn conference.

UKIP's only MP Douglas Carswell, who has had a rocky relationship with Mr Farage, has tweeted a smiley face in response to the news.

When asked about the tweet, Mr Farage said: "I'm pleased that he's smiling because that's not something I've seen very often from him. So it's obviously very good news".

Mr Farage's decision to step down means UKIP now joins the Conservatives in searching for a new leader.



No comments:

Post a Comment