Thursday 30 June 2016

Five To Battle For Conservative Leadership

The Justice Secretary Michael Gove who had repeatedly said he had no leadership ambitions, dropped the bombshell just hours before the midday nominations deadline on Thursday.
Michael Gove lights the leadership touchpaper and will stand against Theresa May, Liam Fox, Stephen Crabb and Andrea Leadsom.

Michael Gove has joined the race to be the next Tory leader saying he does not believe Boris Johnson can "provide the leadership" for the task ahead.

His surprise declaration was seen as a devastating blow for Mr Johnson, who was expected to stand with the backing of Mr Gove and who shortly afterwards equally stunned Tory MPs and journalists by declaring he would not be standing in the contest.
The pair campaigned side by side during the EU referendum campaign to secure the shock Brexit victory.

But Mr Gove said events since last week had "weighed heavily with me" and led him to change his mind.
"I respect and admire all the candidates running for the leadership," he said in a statement.
"In particular, I wanted to help build a team behind Boris Johnson so that a politician who argued for leaving the European Union could lead us to a better future.

"But I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead.

"I have, therefore, decided to put my name forward for the leadership.
"I want there to be an open and positive debate about the path the country will now take.

"Whatever the verdict of that debate I will respect it.
 "In the next few days I will lay out my plan for the United Kingdom which I hope can provide unity and change."


2 comments:

  1. Definately not Gove

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I do think this is a great site. I stumbledupon it ;)
    I may return once again since I book marked it.

    Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and
    continue to help other people.

    ReplyDelete