Monday 21 October 2013

Stilettos give me poise - Nigeria's best model

 She is 18 and recently emerged the Best Model in Nigeria. In this interview, Emeasoba Onyinye talks about her career as a model and other issues
Q: Who is Emeasoba Onyinye? A: I an the current winner of the Best Model Nigeria beauty pageant. I am Miss Brighter Future 2012 and Miss Anambra 2013. I represented Anambra state at the 2013 Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria
pageant. I also contested for the 2013 edition of Miss World.  

Q: How was it like growing up? A: Growing up was fun. I was born into a family that consists of eight girls and one boy. The boy is my twin brother. We were brought up in Lagos. I grew up in a very good Christian home. I don't visit Anambra State too often.

Q: What are your hobbies? A: I am involved in modelling and make-up artistry. I love dancing, swimming and meeting new people.

Q: What do you do to keep yourself in shape? A: I actually walk. I do some endurance trek over a very long distance. This makes me sweat and each time I sweat, I tend to lose weight easily. I also watch what I eat. I don't eat after 7 pm. Also, because of the starchy nature of Nigerian food, I try as much as possible to reduce the quantity of food I eat every day.


Q: What about your beauty regimen?
A: I don't really have a specific cream. I just use any cream that is nice for dark people. For my make-up, I am very careful about the type of make-up I use because I tend to have skin irritations easily. I can't do without my red lipstick.

Q: What is your favourite food? A: I love eba and egusi soup.

Q: Do you know your celebrity look-alike? A: I have the facial structure like Opeyemi Awoyemi who is a model.

Q: Can you recall your journey into modelling? A: I actually started modelling at a tender age; I was about 10 years old when I was featuring in billboard adverts, calendar and television adverts. When I finished from secondary school in 2011 at the age of 16, I went on the runway for the first time. I have been on the runway of Nigerian Television Fashion show, done look books for Ella and Gabby as well as weekly adverts for Konga.com.

Q: How did you get into Best Model Nigeria competition? A: After the MBGN 2013 competition, a friend of mine, who is the former winner of Nigeria's Best Model competition, told me about the pageant. She also helped me pick the form because she tried to convince me that it was a major competition. That was how I got into the competition and emerged winner afterwards.
Q: Why do you think you were picked as the winner? A: The judges must have chosen me because they saw some qualities in me that convinced that I am qualified to be the best. I beat 36 contestants to the crown. Some people said it was my smile that impressed the judges. Others concluded that I had the looks and I was good on the catwalk.

Q: What should Nigerians expect from you as Nigeria's best model? A: You should expect the best because this competition does not just end here. We are travelling to Brussels for the international competition and I am going to put in my best. I want to represent my country nationally and internationally. I would love to promote our culture and position as the giant of Africa. I will start with Lagos which is the center of excellence. If I go to Belgium, I would prove to them that we are black and beautiful and we are the most blessed black nation in the world.

Q: What does style mean to you as a model? A: Style is life. I believe that one needs to have a style; otherwise, the person has no business in the modelling industry. Having a style is like carving an identity for yourself. One must have her own style.

I love wearing nice, fitted gowns. I always love my shoes to have high heels. Stilettos give me carriage and poise. I like wearing items that make me comfortable. I am more of a casual clothes person. I wear short sleeves and sleeveless shirts. Dressing up, I am a very colour conscious person because I am dark and I go for bright colours most of the time because it flatters my complexion.

Q: What are your favourite fashion accessories? A: I cannot do without my shoes and jewellery. If I wear flashy dresses, I go for calm make-up but if not, I can do bold make-up.

Q: How do you feel about the upcoming trip for the international pageant? A: It is going to be my first trip to Belgium and I feel very excited. I am also looking forward to bringing the crown back. It is all about winning. I believe God's grace will see me though. Since He has brought me to this point, I believe He will carry me through every other areas of my life. I leave everything in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment