
It is alleged Vadim Shysimarin, a sergeant, had been fighting in the Sumy region in north-east Ukraine when he killed a civilian on 28 February in the village of Chupakhivka.
He is
accused of shooting at a civilian car after his convoy of military vehicles had
come under attack from Ukrainian forces. He then drove the car away with four
other soldiers as he sought to flee Ukrainian fighters.
Uranian
court in Kyiv will hear the first war crime trial since Vladimir Putin ordered
the invasion of Ukraine, while the Kremlin bristled at Finland seeking to join
Nato and Sweden moving to follow suit.
In a
watershed moment, a Russian soldier will be accused of murdering a 62-year-old
civilian when he appears in the dock on Friday, with the case coming as the
number of crimes registered by Ukraine’s general prosecutor surpassed 11,000
and Unicef reported that at least 100 children had been killed in the war in
April alone.
The
defendant who will appear at Kyiv’s district court is Vadim Shysimarin, a
21-year-old commander of the Kantemirovskaya tank division, who is currently in
Ukrainian custody.
Shysimarin
shot dead the unarmed man, who was on a bicycle and talking on his phone, after
being ordered “to kill a civilian so he would not report them to Ukrainian
defenders”, according to prosecutors.
The crime
is said to have happened “dozens of metres” from the victim’s house and was committed
using an AK-74 rifle.
The case
was this week filed at a criminal court. “He is here [in Ukraine], we have
him,” said Ukraine’s prosecutor general, Iryna Venediktova, from her heavily
fortified headquarters in Kyiv on Tuesday.
A
spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office said: “Prosecutors and investigators
of the SBU [Ukrainian secret services] have collected enough evidence of his
involvement in violation of the laws and customs of war combined with
premeditated murder. For these actions, he faces 10 to 15 years in prison or
life in prison.”
No comments:
Post a Comment